Current U.S. Student

United States citizens who are currently enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree programs are eligible to apply. All applicants enrolled in U.S institutions must apply through their home campuses. Find the Fulbright Program Adviser on your campus.

If you are an undergraduate student, you are eligible to apply in the fall of your senior year.  If you are a graduate student, you are eligible as long as you will not have a PhD degree by the application deadline.

U.S. Citizen but not a Student

If you are a U.S. citizen, will hold a bachelor’s degree by the award start date, and do not have a PhD degree, then you are eligible to apply. Non-enrolled applicant should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Candidates with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

The Getting Started page will provide information on eligibility and next steps.


The Fulbright U.S. Student Program welcomes applications in the creative and performing arts. Arts candidates for the U.S. Student Program should have relatively limited professional experience in the fields (typically 7 years or less) in which they are applying. Artists with more experience should consider applying for the Fulbright Scholar Program.

Creative & Performing Arts projects fall under the Study/Research grant category and are available in all countries where Study/Research grants are offered. 


U.S. Professor/Administrator

If you are a U.S. citizen and a professor or administrator at a U.S. institution and are interested in applying for a Fulbright Scholar Award, you will need to apply through CIES.

To support your students in applying for a U.S. Student Program award, please connect with the Fulbright Program Adviser at your institution.

Non U.S. Citizens

If you are a non-U.S. citizen interested in applying for a Fulbright Award to the United States, you will need to apply through the Fulbright Commission or U.S. Embassy in your home country. Find out more information on the Fulbright Visiting Scholar or Student Program.

Request a Campus Visit

Members of the U.S. Student Fulbright staff and Fulbright Alumni Ambassadors are available for campus visits and presentations.

Visit requests can be submitted through your campus’ Fulbright Program Adviser (FPA).

FPAs can login and request a campus visit here.

Appointing a Fulbright Program Adviser

Colleges and Universities in U.S. are encouraged to appoint a Fulbright Program Adviser (FPA) to recruit and assist students in the application process for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program.

FPAs are often picked from faculty or administration of an institution to promote, advise, and evaluate student applicants. If appropriate with their other responsibilities, FPAs can be professors and/or administrators who can serve as a guide for students throughout the application process. FPAs are appointed by the Dean or President of an institution.

New FPAs are encouraged to attend FPA events either in person or through webinars. Fulbright training resources are free and open to any designated FPA. Upcoming FPA events can be found on FPA Information Events.

To see if there is currently an FPA appointed at your institution please go to Search for a Fulbright Program Adviser.

To appoint an FPA:

  • The President/Dean/Provost or other approved supervisor should contact IIE with a letter or email of appointment. The appointment note should include: Full name, title, email address, office address/campus location, and phone number of the FPA as it should appear on the Fulbright website.
  • Institutions may appoint multiple FPAs to help with the wide range of duties included in the advising and application process. Institutions with multiple FPAs, must designate a Primary FPA to be the main point of contact for IIE. All other FPAs will be referred to as Secondary FPAs. Primary FPAs may designate Secondary FPAs as necessary.
  • Once approved, an FPA will receive a welcome email with information on system logins and resources for managing Fulbright on campus.

Fulbright Program Advisers work with applicants for the Fulbright U.S. Student Program. If you are interested in becoming or appointing a Fulbright Scholar Liaison to work with faculty interested in the Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program, please visit: Fulbright US Scholar Liaison.